Thursday, January 31, 2008

I forgot



I know this seems like a hard thing to forget but I did... OK. Just near Mexico City (70km to the SE) is a BIG active volcano. Well she let go on Monday night. The ash cloud was quite visible from the hotel. I didn't hear it or feel any earthquakes though. See the report below:

Popocatepetl Volcano (Mexico)
A moderate eruption occurred at Popocatepetl volcano on 28th January at 1753 hr, local time. An ash column reached 3.2 km above the crater and drifted northwest. There were 13 small ash emissions in the preceding 24 hours. A 12 km exclusion zone remains around the volcano.


Pretty awesome and it reminds me that we are in a very active region for most of our holiday. There is a big bugger of a volcano quite close to Quito that is also erupting daily and has in the past covered the city in Ash. Wouldn't that be exciting!! Its called Tungurahua



No comments: