Sunday, January 27, 2008

In God We Trust

In God we trust

So it says on the US currency. And just in case he doesn’t do his job, then we will make getting into the country a right bastard. And so they have.

A couple of things that strike me as I sit here in LAX airport waiting to meet my connecting flight to Mexico city, the first is that the tanks are not keen on making the airport a great first impression. Its tired, very tired.

The flight over was OK though. Had a funny thing on the plane, the captain announced soon after take off that the US Transport Admin has decreed that on all planes heading into the US people are not permitted to “gather” around the toilet areas. I had to do a d
ouble take.

What harm is 2 or three people waiting to go to the john going to do on a plane that is 11,000km from the US. More importantly, who is tasked with the responsibility to make sure no such milling occurs? Ridiculous, yet another case of the Americans being scared of shadows.

Anyway, about 7 hours in, I confess…. I was milling. When along came the Captain, stretching his legs and doing a walk of the cabin. He stopped for a chat and we had a nice 5 min convo as I was one of the few awake. In good spirits I asked if it was OK for me to be milling while talking to him as the captain….. he thought about it, and smiled and said, sod it, and walked off.

The next great thing was the Visa waiver form they give you on the plane, that outright asks you if you have been involved in espionage or terrorism, or drug smuggling with a helpful yes/no checkbox. On further reading, it said that if you ticked one of these boxes in the affirmative, you should contact the US embassy in your country (hard to do while on the plane) as you MAY not be allowed into the country. Pure genius at work here….. no doubts about it.

Maybe if they trusted a bit less in God and a bit more in common sense then the World wouldn’t be half as fucked up as it is now.

Also attaching a nice pice of Rob, miniNICK and I before departure, and one of miniNICK here at LAX.


Hopefully I can find a snooze room somewhere here as I am a little weary.

More later

No comments: