Thursday, January 31, 2008

Need a snooze!

A full day here in mexico.

As usual I am suffering from my no sleepitis that I tend to get while my body adjusts to the different time zone, so since I arrived I have been averaging about 4 hours sleep. So I woke around 7am and couldn’t get back to sleep.

Ramiro was up and was heading into the city to have a look around at for some gear we needed for the nights work, so rather than spend the time in the hotel I headed out as well. We jumped on the train and headed into prowl the back streets of the city.

Everyone told me that Mexico city is a dangerous place, muggings, e.t.c everywhere. If that’s the case, it certainly doesn’t feel like it. At no stage did I feel in any danger walking through the back streets, on the contrary, it just felt like being somewhere in a big city in Asia. Crowded, noisy, and street vendors everywhere. I think Mexico city gets a bit of a bad rap.

We spent 4 or 5 hours in walking the streets buying the bits that we needed. Unlike Australia where you would go to one shop to get all the bits you need, here you have to visit 100 shops, 1 of who will have some of the bits, another will have the rest. But… these shops change almost weekly so you have to go through the whole process everytime!

I enjoyed it immensely again, I even went all brave and was eating from roadside vendors on Ramiro’s advice and it was sensational food. I am really enjoying Mexoico, I think its country that is not given its dues. There are some really amazing places to see in Mexico and I think I will have to come back sometime for a holiday.

After a couple of hours of questions about our systems we headed out for the night shift at 11pm. The work being done by the electricians here was a real eye opener. There was 10 people to install one of our sensors, normally there is 1 or two! The other amazing thing was the work methods. Workplace safety is something that is not yet heard of in Mexico. Scaffolding held together by wire, ladders up to an 8m roof, unbelievable, things that if done in Australia would get you in a LOT of trouble. I looked away and pretended to be somewhere else.

So we had some problems and the downside of that is I now have to work Wednesday night too. This means I probably wont be able to get up to the pyramids North of the city as I will be toasted after another full night. This means my cunning ballooning plan is looking flawed. Bugger!

Anyway, off to sleep. Need to see if I can get past 4 hours.

No comments: